Monday, December 12, 2011

Day One

This is me...

When I woke up this morning, I weighed 256.0 pounds. Not happy. I didn't have the greatest of weekends, eating-wise, so in effect today was the start.

I didn't do all that badly today. I ate breakfast, lunch, dinner, and had a couple of snacks in between. I went to Panera for lunch and had a bowl of soup and an apple, which was a big improvement over how I usually do.

My biggest problem is that I spend a lot of time behind my desk, and that leads to a lot of grazing. Then I make the mistake of bringing a bunch of stuff. It's pretty simple, if I don't bring stuff I don't eat it!

Then again, anyone in this situation knows that it isn't that easy. You sort of get conditioned, get into some sort of routine. I have to admit that I am very much a creature of habit -- most days I pack pretty much the same thing for lunch.

So for me it is a matter of just breaking some habits. I didn't eat as much and drank more water than I usually do. If the good stuff is there in front of me I will eat it, sometimes it is just a matter of choosing that stuff over everything else.

Didn't do a lot, exercise-wise, but I did get out and move a little bit. I coach my younger son's 5th-grade basketball team, and tonight I tried to run around and just burn some calories. Then I did 15 minutes on my new (well, new to me) treadmill.

Not a bad start. You see, one of the other things I'm striving to do is to be consistent. Just do the same thing over and over, day after day. I can have a huge start, but what good does it do if that huge start is difficult to maintain? I'm trying to follow the advice of my doctor, who said...just focus on losing. Don't worry how much or how fast or slow, just consistently lose.

He shared the example of how a few years ago he lost 30 pounds over a period of 18 months. While it is hard to be patient like that sometimes, it is the way to go. So just getting it done today, and again tomorrow, is what my first goal is going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment