Monday, September 3, 2012

Getting There!

I got on the scale today and was surprised to see I was sitting at 247.4! I don't really feel like I did enough over the past week to drop six pounds, but I will take it anyway. I started thinking about how good it would feel to be down 20 pounds -- meaning I have five to go to get there -- and I hope to make it in the next couple of weeks.

Slow and steady! I have to keep reminding myself that. I think I have eaten pretty* well this week, but I am giving myself an asterisk because I had a few lapses. But overall I gave it a pretty good effort. I brought my lunch to work for several days which is always a big help, although I have to admit I've had some ballpark food the last couple of days.

As a freelance sportswriter, I spend my summers covering a minor league baseball team. Very few perks come with that, but one of them is that I get a free meal from the concession stand. Unlike past years, where I went up there like it was a trough, I have shown an amazing amount of restraint this season. But with the season (possibly) ending on Labor Day (today) I have indulged because it is a long way until the 2013 season opener next April!

On the workout front, I was held back a bit because of work, but I finished the week with a late-night three-mile walk. I sort of lead a strange schedule in that I often don't go to bed until one or two in the morning, so being out walking my neighborhood isn't a strange thing.

Back when I was running a lot, I did a lot of midnight running. A great thing about that is that you don't have to worry about traffic and it is very quiet -- and in the summer the weather is a lot cooler. In fact, some of my best runs have come late at night.

I've been having some back issues over the last few days, no doubt overdoing it a little when I played a bunch of golf on Wednesday. So I've stuck to walking over running, but that should change in the next day or two. I want to get going again so I can run a couple of 5Ks before the year ends. In fact, there is a fun 4-miler on Thanksgiving that I have run in the past, and it would be nice to get in shape for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment