Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I Can't Wait

For a couple of things, well, three now that I think about it.

I can't wait for Saturday to see if my 16-year-old son Matt and his cross country team runs well enough at sectionals to qualify for the state meet. Of course I can't wait until next weekend because 1) if he qualifies for said meet it will be next Saturday and 2) I have big plans for the weekend and the Hot Chocolate run.

But I'm adding another one after my run after work tonight. It was just an incredible day here, the temperature flirted with the 80-degree mark all day, just a reminder of summer and how we don't know what we have until it's gone. We have about 18 more hours of this beauty and warmth before reality sets in and we plunge back into the 30s tomorrow night.

The weather gave a lot of people the same idea that I did, so there were a lot of my fellow runners out on the trail after work. There is a path around a park called Waubonsie Lake (because it is next to Waubonsie Valley High School I guess) and if you take the long way around it is between 2.6 and 2.8 miles. They once had a sign out there but I forgot the second number.

Anyway, I ran at a pretty nice pace and felt great. The sun was going down -- I actually finished after dark -- so it was warm but not as bad as if old Sol was beating down from a clear blue sky.

One thing I noticed was that there were a lot of people out there, both men and ladies, who were really hammering their workout. Wednesday can be a night for that on a lot of schedules, and some of those folks were really letting it rip.

I of course kept my slow and steady pace, but at the same time was feeling a bit motivated. When I am in good shape I love to hammer out runs and push the pace more than I probably should. Sure it hurts but the satisfaction of finishing one of those workouts is awesome. Plus, it's just a day that you know you got something done.

Alas, those days are a ways off, but that's OK, it just gives me the incentive to work towards it, and maybe when winter goes away and next spring arrives I can join them back on that trail and do my best to keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment