Monday, July 15, 2013

90 Days To Go!

So I've been thinking about setting up a blog to document my run to the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon (and beyond) and finally am putting one together as I've realized there are only 90 days left before the big event!

I'll bring you up to speed on my training and such later, but wanted to mention from the outset that I while this is my eighth marathon overall (I've run Chicago five times and Grandma's and Los Angeles once each) it will be the first time that I am running for charity. I will be running with (and raising money for) the American Cancer Society.

My last marathon -- Chicago in 2008 -- hadn't gone so well and I had vowed that I wouldn't run another one until I felt like I had the enthusiasm and the love for running that I needed to really give it a good effort in training. I've since recovered both, and have the extra motivation thanks to my fundraising efforts.

Like most people, I've lost many people in my lives to cancer. Two have hit very, very close to home as my dad, Dan, passed away on August 31, 2004 and my sister Joni lost her battle on December 22, 2011. It was Joni's passing that hit me hard and she is the main reason I am doing this. Cancer just isn't fair.

Anyway, that's a little about me. As I'm getting back into the swing of things and am still trying to lose some weight before race day, it's slow going as I'm following a mostly novice program. But I'm kind of competitive so we'll see how well I stick to my "slow and steady" theory.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment