Saturday, September 14, 2013

Falling For Fall

This week was a rough one, weather-wise, and threw off the running schedule a little bit. With the temperatures early in the week hitting the mid 90s, and not getting much better after dark, I decided to put the schedule off for a couple of days until it cooled down a bit.

Of course, everything doesn't always go as planned. The week was supposed to go four miles one day, eight the next and four the day after that. Well, I got the first four in, but the eight just didn't happen. Oh well.

The four was wonderful...the weather started to cool down by Wednesday and I headed out around 8 p.m. I actually enjoy running at night, in fact when I worked two jobs five nights a week I often ran around midnight or so. For some reason, the older I get the harder it is to fall asleep after I do that, so running that late is pretty much out.

It was probably about 65 degrees when I headed out, and it felt really, really good. In all the years I've run, I felt like spring and fall was where I got the most done training-wise. It's just easier to pick up the pace and that makes it easy to improve. The summer always feels like a time where I'm just putting the miles in, and those begin to pay off when it gets cooler.

Tonight when I went out, it was even better. Not sure what the temperature was when I started, but it was 50 (!) when I was finished. I was able to get up to a good pace pretty quickly, and by the time I was in the final mile or so felt like I was really flying.

Of course, flying is relative, as I was probably running 10-minute miles or something, but it felt a lot faster. It's supposed to be about 55 or so on Sunday when I head out for my 14-miler, and I'm really looking forward to that.

It's a small wonder that fall is quickly becoming my favorite season. With four weeks to go until the marathon, I hope we get a lot more days like this!


No comments:

Post a Comment