Wednesday, September 17, 2014

By Now You're Probably Asking Yourself

Does this guy just write about running, or does he actually RUN???

Of course I run! In fact, I got one in tonight. But for the sake of transparency it was my first run in 11 days, but it was good to be out. I really love running at this time of year, it was 54 degrees when I headed out, which to me is the perfect temperature. In fact, I like it even more when it is even 10 degrees colder!

Funny story: years ago I was training for the Mini and I went for a run during my lunchtime at work. It was in the high-30s that day, but there was no wind and it just felt fantastic. As I finished my run there were a couple of ladies out walking who were bundled up in their jackets, hats and scarves. One of them said to me (as I was wearing shorts and a long-sleeved shirt)..."Isn't it too cold to run?"

Hey, I live in the Midwest. If you wait for a perfect day to run, you might be waiting a long time. And, one of my mantras is that there are no guarantees the weather will be perfect on race day. You have to be ready for everything...and if you have perused the earlier posts in this blog -- which I hope you have done -- you'll discover that I've pretty much raced in all types of weather, and in every month of the year.

Come to think of it, except December. I've never run a race in December! I've raced on New Year's Day, the 4th of July and Thanksgiving, but never December. Guess I need to fix that.

Anyway, another thing about tonight's run is that it was seriously dark! Which made things a little interesting because much of the route that I ran was new to me. Have I mentioned that I got married on July 26th? Yeah, that's probably somewhere in my profile or on this blog somewhere. :--)

While the married life with Darcy has been off the charts awesome, another benefit of moving to Bartlett to live with her is that there are tons of routes that need exploring. There are paths all through town and outside of town, so there is lots of new ground to cover.

I've already discovered one that I love, it's a 3.8-mile (out and back) track through a forest preserve. Well, not really a "forest" since it's actually native prairie grass, but it's a crushed rock path that has this huge hill right in the middle of it. And, it's steeper going up the back end than the front, so it's something to push through in the final mile or so.

I've hit that one a few times. There aren't a lot of people on it and it's very beautiful and peaceful.

Tonight, though, I just followed the path along one of the main roads in town. Well, on the edge of town, meaning there wasn't a lot of light. Oh well, I managed. It's a nice little run and there are a few kind of sinister hills to it. You know those kind, as you run up to them they don't look like much but they seem to go up for miles!

Then there is one final hill as I enter our neighborhood which is a reminder that I need to do more hills!

Anyway, back to the dark part. I actually love, love, love running at night. Back when I first started running and was working a lot I would often run at 11 p.m. or midnight. It really is a great time of day to run, there isn't a lot of traffic and the temperatures are about as cool as they are going to get.

I don't do that much any more, because unfortunately it seemed as I got older it got harder to fall asleep after running so late. Since I have trouble sleeping anyway (more on that in the future) it just became a bad idea. Still, I have some great memories of some epic night-time runs.

Tonight's run went about 3 miles or so, and I headed out around 10 p.m. It's 11:20 now and I'm kind of tired so I think this time I'm going to be OK!

I hope to get a run in tomorrow, then Darcy and I are running a 5K on Saturday. Should be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment