Thursday, October 23, 2014

Throwback Thursday

I won't do this every Thursday, but in honor of the Twitter tradition, I thought I'd post a couple neat photos today.

You are following me on Twitter, aren't you? If not, go to @run2ohfour39 and do it! I promise it will be fun!

And while you are at it, check out my Facebook page too!

OK, back on topic. Today I rounded up all of my Mini swag and put it into one photo. I'm a little disappointed because I am missing four of the seven bibs. Those got lost in a move somewhere. I'm especially sad to be missing my number from 2003, which I got autographed by the great Bob Kennedy.

I've had better luck with my medals though. I have six of those, and the seventh (from 2005) is hanging at my dad's grave in Indiana. I left it there on my way home from the race.

Anyway, here it is!

  


The other comes from 2009 when I joined my friend Wally Hines and some members of his Hudson, Wisconsin running club at the Ragnar Great River run. We also ran together in 2007 and 2010. Another friend, Scott Goddard, rode up with me and ran too. Scott has been with me through a lot over the last few years, so it was fun to experience that with him as well.

 

Yep, we made the local paper! The race had 233 teams and started in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, then finished in St. Paul, Minnesota. I can't find the results anywhere (I'll keep looking) but I think we finished in the 28-29 hour range. If you have never run a relay, find one and do it, you won't regret it!

One of the fun aspects of finishing a Ragnar is that when your teammate is about a half-mile away from finishing the final leg, they announce your team name over the loudspeaker. The other 11 runners head down the path (which runs along the Mississippi River) a couple of hundred yards and everyone finishes together. Then you get medals and pose for pictures.

I'm the guy sitting on the back right of the truck (sporting my sweet Oakland A's hat), Scott is standing behind me with the sunglasses and Wally is next to him in the hat. Wally and his running group have gone on to run several Ragnars all over the country! It's definitely something I would love to do again.


No comments:

Post a Comment