Sunday, November 30, 2014

Five Things For December

Here we are, the last month of 2014 has arrived. But before I set out my goals for December, I want to celebrate a couple of goals I achieved this past month.

First, despite a big Thanksgiving weekend, I met my goal of losing seven pounds -- which means I'm down about 15 since the middle of September! That puts me in position to reach a pretty good one by the end of December (more on that later). The other goal I met was to average at least 15 miles per week. Despite having missed several runs over the last couple of weeks, my 7.5-miler today put me at 62 miles for the month.

I'm happy about reaching those two, but let's keep pressing on!

1) Break 30 minutes for the 5K. Still a goal! I was pretty busy and didn't get a chance to race in November, but I'm running in Schaumburg on Dec. 6 and the forecast shows the weather is going to be decent. If not, maybe I'll try again before the end of the year. I'm hoping to convince Matt to run with me on Saturday. I hope so, he could probably run around 17 minutes or something and could have a chance to be up front with the leaders.

2) Lose five pounds. I'm keeping it pretty realistic this month, not just because of Christmas but afterwards we are going to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico between Christmas and New Years. Now, while I'm trying to eat better and do more of the right things, when I vacation, I vacation, and don't make any excuses for it! :--) Plus, if I lose five pounds I will get below 240 and will be down 25 pounds since the beginning of 2014.

3) Run in Mexico. This goal is just to keep me a bit motivated when I'm gone. And, I'd like to add Mexico to the places I've run. I'm sort of disappointed in the fact that I've been to Mexico and Italy, not to mention US destinations like Las Vegas and Atlantic City, but I never ran in those places. So while getting a new stamp in my passport, I want to add one to my running passport as well!

4) Run 80 miles. I'm happy with the 62 this month but left a lot of miles out there the last couple of weeks by not getting out and running. Time to ramp it up a little.

5) Stretch my long run to 8.5 miles. I ran 7.5 pretty easily today, and if it weren't for my trip at the end of this month I'd try to get to nine. Still, 8.5 will put me in a pretty good position for the start of 2015, and hopefully if I stretch out runs during the week (like to five miles or so) it will be pretty easy to get to 12-13 in training by the middle of the spring. It would be nice to get to 12 or 13 in time to get several of those in before race day.

Last month of 2014, let's go out on a roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment