Sunday, November 2, 2014

November Five

Crazy to think it's November already, isn't it? The year has gone by so incredibly fast...I guess when you have as many things happen in a year as I have (all good, thankfully) it works that way!

Although I've yet to run in November, it's gotten off to a good start. Matt closed out his first college XC season yesterday at the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference meet, running 29:33 in the 8K race. That was his second best time of the year and while he won't be running in the NCAA Division III regional meet in two weeks -- only the top seven run -- he will still be part of the travel team, which will be a great experience for him.

Here is a photo of Matt with his team. He's the one kneeling with the gray pullover on the front right.

Today I got up early to watch the New York City Marathon. That's a race I want to run someday, and I was particularly interested to watch elite runner Meb Keflezighi, who at 39 years of age finished fourth. He won the Boston Marathon this spring and finished fourth at the Olympic Marathon in 2012. Meb's just a real inspiration to me in a lot of ways.

With a new month on tap, it's time for my November Five, a list of five things I want to work on over the next four weeks. You can read my October five here, and I will reference a couple of them here and there.

Overall it was a decent month, I did well on some things and not so well on others. Still, it's all about moving forward and staying positive, right?

1) Break 30 minutes for a 5K. In October my goal was to break 31 minutes, and I came close when I ran 31:02 at the Hot Cocoa 5K last weekend. (Race report). I've entered a 5K over Thanksgiving weekend, so hopefully a good month of training will get me there.

2) Run 15-18 miles per week. I'm trying to slowly increase my mileage, with hopes of being in the 35-40 MPW range by next May. Moving up to this point is a nice natural progression. I also want to have my long run to nine miles by the end of the month.

3) Lose seven pounds. I fell a little short of this goal last month -- I lost five -- but I'm going to give it a try again. More mileage, more water and some better food choices will make all of the difference.

4) Run at least once per week at work. Back in the day I ran during my lunch hour all of the time, as there was a time where it was the only opportunity I might have. With basketball season starting (I coach Kevin's 8th grade team) and having activities 2-3 nights a week, I need to make it a point to fit a run in during the day. Sometimes when I get home at 9 or 10 p.m. I'm just not motivated to get out, so I need to just get it done.

5) Do one round of strength training every week. Earlier this year I was doing some strength training, especially core work, and I could feel it making a big difference in my running. Even if it's just some work at home, I'll be happy with that.

Have a great November! Let's do this!




No comments:

Post a Comment