Saturday, December 27, 2014

Three Things Saturday

OK, I know that it is usually Three Things Thursday but with said Thursday being Christmas and yesterday a day of recovery, we are going with a belated T-cubed. Didn't think anyone would mind.

1) I hope everyone had a nice Christmas or other holiday that you and your family celebrate. Mine of course was a little different than in years past, since our wedding in July has officially blended our families. On Wednesday we traveled to Darcy's parents' house in Munster, In., and for the first time Matt and Kevin came along. Since he spends weekends with us, Kevin is pretty well adjusted to the new setup, but Matt is still getting used to it. He was a bit grumpy when he first got there, but after dinner all of the boys were downstairs in Darcy's nephew Rainy's man-cave (Rainy lives with his grandparents as Darcy's sister passed away a few years ago) playing Grand Theft Auto (don't judge :--) ). Matt begrudgingly admitted that he had a great time!

Christmas was spent at our place in Bartlett, which was kind of nice because I realized it was the first time since 1988 -- seriously! -- that I had hosted Christmas at home. And I can't really say I "hosted" Christmas in 1988 since I was just a college sophomore and was still living with my folks. But, it was a nice, relaxed day and a great way to celebrate.

I also got a new gadget, at Fitbit! I'm pretty excited, I've really enjoyed playing with it over the last couple of days. Besides all of its cool features, wearing it is a reminder of my fitness goals and how I want to go big in 2015.

2) Speaking of goals, what do you want to accomplish in 2015? I've been hard at work on mine, and will share in a later post. One thing I'm really trying to do is get a lot more focused and specific with my goals. I'm already actually planning out my races in advance and thinking of some things I want to do. Big on my list is the Chicago Marathon in October, and perhaps a "double" in November of the Avengers Half-Marathon in California and Rock N Roll half in Las Vegas on the same day! That would be a cool experience.

Right now, I'm looking ahead to February when I hope to run a 5K in under 28 minutes and get a seeded corral at the Indy Mini. But I have lots of others in mind.

3) And finally...our vacation journey has begun! As I'm typing this I'm sitting in the Admiral's Club at O'Hare Airport waiting to board our flight to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It's Darcy's parents' 50th wedding anniversary so they are taking us on a trip! It's nice to be going somewhere for a few days, especially someplace very, very warm! I'm looking forward to sitting by some water and reading (I have Lone Survivor, Unbroken, Pre and The Perfect Mile with me, not to mention three issues of Runner's World -- not to mention the movie Spirit of the Marathon II for the flight), and I think Darcy and I are going snorkeling on New Year's Day.

I've also brought my gear and will be trying to get some runs in every day. My brother-in-law Adam is a runner too so hopefully we can help keep each other motivated. Looking online there appears to be a couple of trails and there is even a track stadium that is open for public use. I hope that is close to our hotel, it would be fun to maybe get in a little speedwork while I'm there.

Here's the view of O'Hare...boo. Thankfully it will be above 80 degrees every day we are there. Although I love Chicago and love the change of seasons -- I don't know if I'd like living somewhere that is warm all year round -- this trip makes winter a week shorter, which isn't a bad thing.

I've already gotten started with my first margarita -- again, don't judge -- and look forward to a few more in the coming days.

I feel so, so blessed to be a part of a great family and to have the opportunity to go on trips like this. I took a lot of car trips with my family when I was younger, and we eventually saw most of the country east of the Mississippi River, but I always dreamed of getting on planes and taking trips and getting stamps in a passport, so the last couple of years have been so awesome. I look forward to more trips to come!

I brought my camera along so this will be a travel/running blog for the next few days. Hope you enjoy reading.

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment