Thursday, December 11, 2014

Three Things Thursday, Dec. 11, 2014 Edition

Is it Thursday already?!?! I really feel like this week has flown by -- I've actually accomplished a lot at work and I'm looking forward to a fun weekend.

I'm also excited because we are just over two weeks away from leaving for Puerto Vallarta and a week in Mexico. Not like it's been polar vortex-y at all here, but I can't wait to feel the warm sun for a few days, not to mention the margaritas!

Here's how things are going for me this week:

* I made an executive decision earlier this week that I'm going to focus on half marathons in 2015. (By the way, I'll have my goals for the year out next week) It really is my favorite distance and I haven't done one in the longest time! Right now I have 5-6 in mind, and I'd really like to get into the low 1:50 range by the end of next year. That means the marathon is out but that's fine, I'll just take some more time getting a bigger base under me to run better at 26.2. Plus, I'm not feeling marathon training right now (sorry to say) and just want to wait another year before doing it again.

* Have you ever wondered when you are running a hilly course whether you gain more on the downhill than you lose on the uphill, or vice versa? I was thinking about that on my 3.75-miler last night, because I felt great and thought I was crushing the run, but when I was finished I had run 39:29. Wait a sec...how could I average 10:30 on my run last night but averaged 9:30-ish in my 5K PR last Saturday? My route is hilly but I didn't believe it was that slow. So I think this weekend I'm going to go out and do a very non-scientific experiment where I'm going to run up and down the steepest hills on the route and chart the difference.

On the same note, I think I'm going to head somewhere more flat for my 8-miler on Sunday. Again, I'm just curious how I will do on a flat course, which will also pretty well mimic the Indy Mini course. I'll probably head to Wheaton and use one of the paths we did for marathon training in the summer of 2013. It will be interesting to see how my pace stacks up against my hillier route near home.

* Finally, a non-running note. Today my oldest, Matt, finished his last final of his first semester at Benedictine University. Six months ago I was a bit worried as to how things would go but I've been so impressed with his hard work and effort since he got to school. He's really grown as a person and I'm so proud of him for that. He starts training for track season soon and is hoping to finally break two minutes for the 800 meter run in the spring. Here's a TBT photo of Matt and I at the Bears/Lions game in 2009.


One bonus item! I mentioned the launch of the Race Raves site in this space a few days ago, and I've been hard at work putting my page together. Give the site a look, there is some great stuff on there (check out the story on Alan Nawoj, who recently set a Guinness World Record for the fastest elapsed time for running marathons on all seven continents) and it's growing every day. They also have some social media activation going on, and I'll list that below!

Twitter -- @RaceRaves
Facebook. -- https://www.facebook.com/RaceRaves
Google + -- https://plus.google.com/+Raceraves/posts
Instagram -- instagram.com/raceraves_ig

No comments:

Post a Comment