Thursday, January 15, 2015

Three Things Thursday

Welcome to my first triple T of 2015! The year is off to a great start, I'm so excited for all the great adventures that lie ahead in the next few months.

Here are three things I've got on my mind this week:

* After a seriously cold last 10 days I'm looking forward to the weather breaking this weekend. By "breaking" I mean getting above freezing (it's almost there today) and hopefully melting some snow. I hope to resume my long run schedule with eight miles on Sunday. If the snow does melt some I'd like to go back to Wheaton and run the flat path there. I have to admit I'm still in a bit of "vacation mode", even though we've been back for two weeks. I haven't eaten well and only have a handful of runs in. But with the weather getting better and basketball season ending next week (hence, more free time), it's time to get back on the wagon.

* Matt, my oldest, just finished his first semester at Benedictine University and posted a 3.0 GPA! I'm so happy for him...by his own admission he didn't apply himself in high school (and it showed as he graduated 99th in a class of 125 and finished with a 2.55 GPA) but he worked really hard in the fall and gained a lot of confidence. Pretty good semester given he was also running cross country.

I am a little bummed, though, because Matt told me he isn't going to run for the track team this spring. He's been struggling with his love of running for a while and we urged him to give it a try during XC season. Overall he did well and did have fun but just wants to give it up for now. If it makes him happy I will support it, although I'll miss watching him run and compete, that was a lot of fun. In the end I just hope he rediscovers his passion for it, whether he competes for his team or not, and starts running again, even if it's just for his own enjoyment.

* If you read my post about the 2004 Indy Mini Marathon, you saw that I made mention of my sister Karen and the inspiration she was to me that weekend having gone through open heart surgery just a few days before the race. I picked that particular race to focus on last weekend because she was going through some issues with her heart and the post was just a note of encouragement to her to hang in there. All of her tests didn't show any damage to her valve and it looks like everything is going to be OK. I told her that's a reason to celebrate by going out and buying some new shoes and training for her comeback 5K. I hope she takes me up on my offer that I'll come down and run with her. That will be a great day.

Tomorrow my Bib of the Week will be a recap of the 2005 Bix 7, one of the best and most historic road races in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment