Thursday, January 22, 2015

Three Things Thursday

You know how we are only three weeks into the new year but yet movie trailers are coming out where critics are calling them "The Best Movie of the Year"? This post is kind of like that, but not quite as irritating. Today I'm writing about three people that I've become a fan of already this year.

* Bill Rodgers. I've already posted a couple of times in this space, and on Twitter and Facebook, the impact reading Bill's book "Marathon Man" has had on me. I knew a little about his story, and his greatness as a marathoner (according to his Wikipedia page he has 20 total career wins), but I didn't know the whole story, about his rebirth as a runner in his mid-20s and the love and passion he still has for the sport all of these years later. It's all cool stuff, and I have added his name to the list of people I'd like to meet someday.

* My virtual running peeps. As I've mentioned in past posts, I'm trying hard to become more social and get more involved with others in the running community. So, in the last few weeks I've tried to become more active on Twitter and have joined a few groups on Facebook, including one for people looking to run a sub-30 5K. While I've already done that (by all of nine seconds) I want to do it again, and smash it this time! Hopefully being a part of that group gets me there.

I've also started my own group, Running With ADHD which is for those of us runners who have ADHD. While it's a frustrating thing to deal with at times, I'm actually become grateful for the gifts that having ADHD has given me, most importantly my creativity, imagination and ability to write. I feel like at this point in my life it has done more for my life then it has hindered it. I created the group for people to come together and support each other, so check it out and join if you'd like.

* Sean Astin. I know most people recognize Sean from his Lord of the Rings Trilogy roles and the massive amounts of voice over work, but I prefer his earlier work, like in Goonies, Encino Man and Rudy. What I just learned about him, though, is that he is a big time runner who has several marathon credits to his finish while also completing the Dopey Challenge at Disney couple of weeks ago. 

In the past he's raised money for charity and his Facebook page and Twitter feed are full of his running stories while offering encouragement to others. I've also discovered that he is incredibly fan-friendly at races and has no problems posing for photos and talking to people. He seems like an awesome, super-cool dude.

He also started the Twitter project #Run3rd, which has turned into something pretty big. He explains the concept on his website and it's really cool. First you run for yourself, second you run for your family (or other people you love) and third you run in dedication to someone else. Awesome.

I'm definitely going to spend some more time learning about his cause and will be running with him and others (virtually) on April 11 for the Run3rd 5K. You can read about that here.

And while I'm at it, how about a Throwback Thursday too! I'm not going too far back, just back to my wedding last July 26th. Monday will be our six-month anniversary! My wife is a rock star -- she's a brain tumor survivor, a marathoner, is incredible at her job, and most of all is my best friend, confidant and fellow adventure seeker. I can't think of anyone else I would want to spend the rest of my life with. Love you!




No comments:

Post a Comment