Monday, February 2, 2015

Four Things February

Is February really here? I heard a certain ground hog saw his shadow today, but given the 15-plus inches of snow we got yesterday, I'm not in the mood for what Phil thinks, and in three days I won't care anyway (more on that later)!

Actually, I'm kind of excited for February. Not only is it the birthday month for Matt (Feb. 19) and Darcy (Feb. 20), we also have a big trip coming up and of course spring training starts in just a couple of weeks. It also marks the beginning of the end for winter, because once March gets here I can pretty much tolerate the leftovers of winter since I know that it is going to end pretty soon.

So what have I got going on? Let's find out!

*From a running perspective, I'm really excited. Though I got off to a slow start in January -- I didn't run until the 12th -- I finished the month by running back-to-back 25 mile weeks! I also got a big boost of confidence on Saturday when I ran 9.5 miles in 1:36:55, or a 10:12 pace. What I feel good about is the fact that the loop I took had its share of hills, and I was also slowed down a bit by some not-so-decent footing. Back in November, I had hoped that by the end of February I could be down to a sub-10-minute pace for 10 miles, and it looks like that's possible.


*Even better, I hit a milestone in my weight loss. At my highest point last year, I checked in at 265 pounds, and when I got on the scale this weekend I was sitting at 240! It's been a slow process to get here, mostly because I'm not always the best when it comes to eating, but it's a move in the right direction. Losing a pound a week from now until the Indy Mini puts me in a good position to run Faster Than Frank! I don't feel like I "look" any different, but here's a pic from the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas taken last Feb. 4, the Chicago Marathon in October and one of me taken at the blue track one night last week. What do you think?





* I added another race to the Year of the Half Marathon as Darcy and I will be traveling to Greenwood, Miss. for the Viking Half Marathon there. Why Greenwood? Well, the company Darcy works for owns Viking Range, which is based in Greenwood, and Viking is sponsoring the race, so it's all connected! Darcy will be running the 5K, and I hope to run in the 2:10-2:15 range down there. It will be fun to go to a different part of the country and run, and the course is supposed to be pretty flat, which will give me a good barometer as far as where I stand for the Indy Mini.

*And finally, this month I am participating in a Blog Hop! In case you are wondering what that means, a blog hop is an opportunity for bloggers to network and build up more interest in their site, as well as social media platforms. The one I am participating in, which was organized by Kristy at Runaway Bridal Planner, has 40 bloggers -- most of them running-related. Our job is to promote each other as much as we can and then our blogs will be featured twice during the month. Mine is on the 13th and the 26th, so look for that. My topic on the 13th will be easy...Running in Dubai! The second one I'm still thinking about. Have any ideas?

I'm looking forward to having a great month and having you join me on the journey!


12 comments:

  1. Congrats on all of your accomplishments! It sounds like your 2015 is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words. Much appreciated! :--)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great start to your year! Great job on the weight loss! I was born in Indy so that sounds like a fun race- I don't know who Frank is but I am cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I lived there for several years in the early 90s and have spent a lot of time there since. The Mini starts downtown, takes a lap of the Speedway and finished downtown. Just a great event! Here's the explanation about the name of the blog :--) http://fasterthanfrank.blogspot.com/2014/09/nothing-wrong-with-little-reinvention.html

      Delete
  3. Great job on the weightloss, that is a huge accomplishment! Sounds like your running is also off to a great start for this year, and with lots of fun races lined up!
    Looking forward to getting to know you and your blog better this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is going to be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. You're getting it done! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful start to 2015! Great to connect with you, Mike and best of luck with your upcoming races :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great checking out your blog as well! :--)

      Delete
  6. Great start to the year - and it sounds like you've got some awesome plans for 2015. I cannot wait to read your TravelRun post about Dubai! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I went for a great run in a local park this morning -- it's already noon on Sunday here -- so I'm going to get started on one pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete