Friday, February 6, 2015

Good Morning From London!

Well, it's just about 10:30 a.m. here in the UK, which means many of you haven't made it out of bed yet. Me? I HAVEN'T been to bed, and am into hour 20 of my day.

Anyway, after an overnight flight from Chicago, Darcy and I are halfway there on our trip to Dubai. What's crazy is that a trip like this shows how big our world really is, because Dubai is just as far from London as Chicago is! We still have about a 6 1/2 hour flight in front of us -- wheels up in about three hours! We look to arrive in Dubai about 11:30 p.m. local time, which means there will be one epic night of sleep to follow!

I've actually had a pretty busy day! After boarding our flight from Chicago Thursday evening (here's a photo of our ride!) we headed out into the darkness. I had a window seat, as always, and yeah, I know it was dark the entire night but that's not the point!

Fortunately our 777-200 plane had the cool video screens in the headrests, so I checked out a couple of TV shows and then watched the movie "This Is When I Leave You". It didn't get very good reviews when it was in the theaters but I really liked it.

We made it to the UK just as the sun was coming up, so we got a look at a really spectacular sunrise. See, this is when the window comes in handy! After taking a couple of laps around the English countryside, since we got in a bit early, our pilot put us on the ground just seven hours, 24 minutes after we left O'Hare. With the extra laps we covered about 4,600 miles, but I doubt they get added to our frequent flyer miles!

After getting to our terminal and going through security, I headed to the bathroom and did what every good runner should do, I changed into my gear and got in a 30-minute run!

If you think that's the dorkiest thing you will read about today, you are probably right. I have to admit that I felt a bit strange jogging though the crowd, but in the end it was really fun! Actually, moving my way through the crowd was a little like navigating a mega-race, I just picked my spots carefully and weaved my way through the people. I probably didn't run more than two miles (give or take) but there were a couple areas where the terminal wasn't busy and I was able to pick up the pace and started to breathe a little harder.

I did get a few strange looks, but I honestly didn't care. I enjoyed myself and it was a chance to do something fun and unique. And it means that I can add England to places I have run. Actually, that was the topic of conversation in a running Facebook group I belong to, and the consensus was that it counts. So in the last five weeks I've added Mexico and England to the US for places I've run. How about that?

The 30 minutes went by really fast, too. Along with people watching (and let me tell you, that was seriously interesting), the terminal is home to a lot of high-end shops like Harrods, Rolex, Cartier and Prada, so I was able to check out the merchandise. There are also some nice perfume shops that gave off a nice fragrance, as well as some bakeries and restaurants that had some really great smells too!

Like I said, I did get a few strange looks, but a funny moment came near the end of my run when a guy looked at me and said, "How many laps have you run, lad?". I told him "a bunch!". Actually I think it was four.

The run was also a good chance to knock off the rust and the tightness of sitting on a long flight, so I feel lots better now than when I just got off the plane. On the flip side, I don't think I did my body any favors because according to my watch I was running at 3 a.m. Chicago time! But I feel good and refreshed right now. I'm not sure how long that will last, but it's a good feeling for the time being!

In the end, I got a bit of a training run in and made a nice memory.

Next stop, Dubai! I already have a couple of runs planned there, so look for posts from me with some great photos!


4 comments:

  1. I've been through Heathrow and I'm sure you could get a great running workout in that airport. The sunrise was always fun to see when we were landing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That terminal is pretty big! By the second time around I had put together a nice loop that incorporated both levels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see and hear about your runs in Dubai! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm putting them all together in a couple of posts later on this week!

    ReplyDelete