Thursday, February 19, 2015

Three Things Thursday...Feb 19 Edition

Or should I call it the Arctic Blast edition? Man it is so cold here, and while I know March isn't that far off this has still been so unbearable. It looks like things with break for a day on Saturday (thank goodness, more on that) but after that the cold comes back for a few days. Oh well, I shouldn't complain after my trip last week, should I?

Anyway, here is what is going on with me this week:

*Ugh...I'm injured! Well, sort of. After doing so much walking and standing on our trip, my lower back was starting to get sore, and the 15-hour plane ride home finished me off! My back hurt so badly on Saturday that I made an appointment to see the chiropractor Monday morning. As usual, my Sciatic joint on my right side is out of place, so I had an adjustment on Monday and another tomorrow. It's not a BIG deal since I've been dealing with back problems since I was 18 and know the drill, but just uncomfortable.

Although I'm feeling better, I've only run once since I got home. That felt pretty good and my back didn't hurt at all (it's more when I bend over and shift my weight to the right side of my body), so I'm going to run again tomorrow afternoon. If that goes well I'm still going to run a 5K in Chicago that I signed up for Saturday, but real speedwork and a long run may have to wait another week.

Like I said, I'm well-versed in back issues, although I haven't had as many problems over the last few years, I'm just a bit frustrated because I thought the last 2-3 weeks I'd built up some pretty good momentum in my workouts and was starting to feel faster. When that happens you want to keep that going for as long as you can!

*Earlier this week I joined a running club/racing team! Dick Pond Athletics is one of the premier running shoe stores in the Chicago suburbs, and a big supporter of local runners and races. I've bought plenty of shoes from them over the years, and have always been happy with their help and expertise.

Recently I found out they had formed the Fast Track Racing Team, a club for runners of all abilities (thankfully) that not only offers group runs and coaching, but they run as a collective team at local races. I am a member of the Chicago Area Runners Association, but I was also looking for a club to join out my way, and one of their stores is just about 10 minutes up the road.

I'm looking forward to running with them this year, it will be a good chance to meet people and see some familiar faces at races.

*Today is the 19th anniversary of me becoming a Dad. Otherwise known as my son Matt's 19th birthday! Kind of crazy to think that he is 19 and a freshman in college, but time flies, doesn't it!

Here's a favorite picture of mine, this was taken after the 2013 Indianapolis 500.

Next to my wife Darcy, Matt is one of my best friends and it has been such a joy to be a part of his life. He's doing really well at school (got a 3.0 the first semester) and after sorting through whether or not he wanted to run track this season decided last week to join the team (he was recruited to run track and cross country). He's also getting a lot more active on campus and starting to enjoy college life -- we even went to a basketball game together two weeks ago. Fortunately, Benedictine University is only about 30 minutes from Bartlett so we get together every week or two for dinner. It's nice to catch up and stay close.

The weekend is quickly approaching and I hope to have a race report from the Mardi Gras Chaser 5K on Saturday! Looking forward to running it, I haven't had the chance to run a race since early December!


31 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the back pain! I hope you feel ok to run your race on Saturday. That's great that you joined a running club! I've thought about doing that before, but the only one closest to me is about 30 minutes away. Happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to the club. I've trained by myself for so long that I'm to the point where I want to start meeting people and enjoying the experience even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck at your upcoming race! Hope the weather cooperates for you. I'm in WI and it has been chilly this week!

    Fun to find a running club so close to home. I'm sure they will help take your training to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like Saturday morning is going to be in the high 20s at race time, so I'm happy with that...it will feel downright balmy compared to now! The race is along the lake, so hopefully it won't be windy!

      Delete
  4. This winter seems to be dragging. I can't wait for it to warm up to be able to get outside way more. I hope that your back starts to feel better. Those chronic issues can get really old even if you are used to them Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I always look forward to March running-wise because March and April seem to be a couple of perfect months for training. We should only be a couple of weeks from the temps getting to the 40s, and daylight savings time too!

      Delete
  5. I so agree with you on the cold. ;_; I've been calling it the snowpocalypse (although the northeast definitely has it way worse :[ ).

    I'm sorry to hear about your back pain! That definitely isn't fun. :[ I hope it eases up soon, and happy birthday to your son! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was OK with December and January, but then we got 16 inches of snow on Feb 1 and it went downhill from there! So can't wait for it to go away.

      Delete
  6. Be careful on Saturday with footing (and if your back is still bothering you, take it easy). I am on a local Chicago team and I love it. It makes racing so much more enjoyable. I have been in Indy the last 2 days. Man, it is freezing here, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up not running today. A little disappointing but I woke up not feeling 100 percent and so I figured it would be best. A bummer for sure but I'm going to find another race in the next week or two!

      Delete
  7. I feel you on the back issues, I have the same problem. My chiro works wonders! It's been frigid here too...in fact school was cancelled for tomorrow already because of low temps?!! That's what happens in DC, no school because it's too cold. Don't get me started on that one...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had that happen a few times this winter as well. Kind of don't understand it myself...Thursday they called school because of the cold and Friday they didn't, despite the temps being the same on both days! Have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  8. I feel you on the back issues, I have the same problem. My chiro works wonders! It's been frigid here too...in fact school was cancelled for tomorrow already because of low temps?!! That's what happens in DC, no school because it's too cold. Don't get me started on that one...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about the back pain. Hopefully the adjustments are helping to relieve some of the pain. My chiropractor has become my BFF since my car accident a couple of weeks ago.

    Also, happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you feeling since your accident? I was in a bad one about 10 years ago and it took a while before everything felt right. Hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your 19th anniversary :) and happy birthday to your son. I completely understand the back issues and they always seem to crop up at the worst time. I am glad that the chiro is giving you some relief. It has been cold here in Texas too. It was 35 on my run this morning. Sorry, I couldn't resist rubbing it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 35 here today as well, but it won't last long! That kind of added to my disappointment of having to bag the 5K today, it is one of the best days we've had to run in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  11. Ugh! I'm sorry to hear about your back. I hope the treatment helps and your race goes well this weekend. And happy birthday to your son! I can't even imagine what it will be like when my kids go to college (but only 8.5 more years until our oldest turns 18 - not that long at all!). It must be wonderful to form a friendship with your son and see him grow as an adult. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure doesn't seem that long ago that Matt was only 10, but time has just flown by! He makes it pretty easy to get along with him, we have a ton in common and he's never been a minute of trouble. My youngest goes into high school next year, so with two boys running XC AND track it's going to be all sorts of crazy! But in a good way.

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear you're injured! Hopefully your chiropractor can get you "straightened out" in no time. I'm also seeing a chiropractor, too, in the hopes that she'll be able to resolve my recurring hip problems. It's kind of a last-ditch effort.

    Congrats on joining a running team! That's awesome.

    And happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chiropractor has helped for sure, and he has fixed a couple of other places in my back that were troubling me. The big thing with stuff like this is to just give it time. With my "goal race", the Indy Mini, still two months away, I'm not worried, just a bit frustrated! :--)

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear you're injured! Hopefully your chiropractor can get you "straightened out" in no time. I'm also seeing a chiropractor, too, in the hopes that she'll be able to resolve my recurring hip problems. It's kind of a last-ditch effort.

    Congrats on joining a running team! That's awesome.

    And happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Back troubles are the worst! I'm glad you were able to get an appointment quickly. Happy birthday to your son. It must be nice to still have him so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad he chose Benedictine for a lot of reasons, but it is nice to have him close. Now that he is at school and I see him so often I don't know what it would've been like to have had him go to a school further away and I only saw him on breaks!

      Delete
  15. Yikes, sorry to hear about your back pain/injury! It really does suck when you just feel like you're falling into a good momentum and you're sidelined with an injury. Happy (one day late) birthday to your son! College running is no joke, good for him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! You are right about college running, even at the DIII level that he runs on guys are crazy fast. BU is just down the road from North Central, which has a tradition of winning national championships in track and XC, so he's seen first hand what top level running is like. He's finally starting to feel like he's up to the challenge.

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday Matt! I love that you call him one of your best friends. Bummer about your back but good luck on that 5k. And I won't tell you what the weather is like here. You would just hate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I had a co-worker that just got back from there and he told me all about it! You know, I love Chicago in the summertime so much that as crazy as it sounds I'm willing to trade winters here for summers along the Lakefront and ballgames at Wrigley Field.

      Delete
  17. I have 3 clients right now dealing with sciatic problems and back pain. It can be such a debilitating pain. It's great that you have a chiropractor that can help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's tough, I mean, I've had this happen so often that I know the drill, but that doesn't help any! :--) I really wanted to have a great 2015 running wise, but it's still early and hopefully this is my only setback!

      Delete
  18. I'm just catching up since I was out of town. I'm so sorry to hear about your back. So were you able to race your 5k? Hopefully you are on the mend! And, I am with you on the weather... I am so over the arctic blast!

    ReplyDelete