Monday, April 27, 2015

It's Indy Mini Week!

Let's do a happy dance, it's finally here! In just five more days we will be running the Indy Mini Marathon.

To be honest, when it comes to my running I really, REALLY need this one. I've been dealing with a lot of disappointment in myself for the way I have been eating and training since the Viking Half. I haven't run nearly as much as I should have, only about 50 miles so far in April, and I've gained about five pounds as well.

I'm trying not to be so hard on myself, but it's difficult because there really aren't many excuses. I had a lot of days where I could've run and didn't, and that is upsetting to me. It won't hurt me on Saturday because the group of friends I'm running with are going to go at a pace that works for everyone, like a 2:35 finishing time or somewhere in that neighborhood, but it doesn't help me progress towards my goals the way I want it to.

I'm also a little stressed and anxious about the Team V group leader thing. After exchanging e-mails and phone calls last week, it looks like they will be letting me know Wednesday or Thursday if I am in. I'd be really disappointed if that doesn't happen.

I usually have a bit of a letdown after running a "big" race, and it reared it's head these last couple of weeks. But in the last few days I've had a few confidence building runs. On Friday I went out and ran 10.5 miles at about a 10:40 pace (my phone was running out of battery so I chose listening to music over running my Runtastic app, but that was my pace after about eight miles), and today I did a 3.8-mile tempo run where I ran the last two miles at about 9:20 pace.

Here I am at about mile seven of my run on Friday. It was really windy and rain was falling here and there, so I'm trying to put on my best face. Think I succeeded? What I love about this picture is the background and how with each passing day we are seeing more and more green.

The wind has been blowing like crazy lately but I had a tailwind on the second half of today's run and wanted to take advantage! I could get a couple more runs like this between now and the Apple Blossom 5K on May 9 I might have a chance to break 28 minutes, which would be pretty sweet, especially because Matt is done with school the day before and will be running the race too!

I also got a nice boost today from a very unexpected place...a co-worker! Over the last few months, they have been renovating the office space in our building. My company moved into our building when it first opened in 1998, and it looked like the furniture went back even further. So an upgrade was in desperate order.

My department was sent to a temporary space in a building across the street in February, and today was our first day back in our new building. It looks absolutely fabulous. It's going to take a while to get used to my new cube -- which sits right outside the CIO's office, don't know if that is a good thing or not -- but first impressions are that I like it a lot.

As I was checking out the new cafeteria I ran into Sandy, who is an administrative assistant that works upstairs. She hadn't seen me since January (we moved to the temp space the day I got back from Dubai) and the first thing she asks me is if I have lost weight.

I told her I've probably lost about 15-20 since the fall, depending on the day, and she says, "Dude, you look fantastic".

Wow! How about that? It's one thing to hear that kind of stuff from people who see you ever day, I mean, Darcy is always complimenting me on how I look and how much running has changed my appearance, but for someone to just come up and say something out of the blue? That was excellent.

It's a great feeling when people recognize a positive change in you, and like my most recent runs I really needed something like that. It's a good week to start building some confidence and I think I'm off to a good start!




No comments:

Post a Comment