Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Three Things Thursday -- Early Edition

I'm using today as an off-day and have no plans for lunch, so I figured I could get ahead of the game and get tomorrow's post now!

OK, the title is a bit misleading, but there are two reasons for that: 1) if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm kind of quirky and 2) I couldn't find a catchy title for Wednesday, so there's that.

Either way, the words are still the same, so enjoy!

*I finally picked a fall goal race. This was a harder decision than I had originally thought it would be. I didn't feel like training for a marathon, so all of those were out, and had planned on going to Rock N Roll Las Vegas, but that falls just a couple of weeks after we go to Italy, which didn't work out either.

So I decided to stay local and going with the Chicago Half Marathon! You can read more about it on the race's website. It's a really cool event that goes through some of the more historic areas of Chicago's South Side, and includes a few miles on Lakeshore Drive. Even better, it's very flat and VERY fast! What also appeals to me is that the race is on Sept. 27, which is a couple of weeks later than it used to be. That will help weather-wise and give me a couple more weeks' worth of training!

I ran the race in 2000-01 when I first started running and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to going back. It should be a lot of fun. If any of you are running as well, let me know...it would be great to have a meet up of some kind!

*In the meantime, I've got a few 5Ks lined up. My next race will be the Bastille Day 5K in downtown Chicago on July 9. That was my "comeback" race in 2012 so I have a certain affinity for that event. It's a night race that goes through Lincoln Park and along the lakefront, and at that time of day the skyline is a stunning view as the sun is setting. I've also run it with my good friend Scott the last couple of years, and now that he is married, has a new baby and lives in the city I don't see him a lot, which makes it a nice excuse to get together.

I really enjoy night races in the summer, they seem to have a little more energy to them and since I'm not a morning person it's nice to not have to get up early! There are two more later in the month in my area that I like, and I will probably do one or the other...who knows, maybe both!

One is the Summer Sunset 5K in Geneva, which is one outstanding event. It's well organized, has races for everyone (including a youth mile and sprint races for younger kids) and typically brings a fast crowd. The race brings in a lot of high school kids who show up to see where they are at with summer training, and the course record is held by Daniel Huling, who is a world class steeplechaser. The Fox River Trail Runners club puts on several great runs every year, and this is one of them.

Another race I'm thinking about is the Detweiller At Dark cross country race in Peoria. The race is run on the legendary Illinois High School Association state meet course, which they bathe in floodlights for the race. They offer middle school, high school and open races on a course that is seriously fast. Matt's high school team went down there twice for the run, and Kevin will be going down there with the team this year. As a cross country fan, I hold the Detweiller Park course in pretty high regard and have always wondered what it would be like to run it. So I think I'm going to!

*Two-Minute Tuesday! I haven't gotten a lot of traffic to my first two posts, but I'm undeterred! You can view them on my YouTube channel, and I suggest subscribing because I plan on putting a lot of new things up there in the future. I just discovered the Periscope app and if you are into that sort of thing you can find me at letsrun4ever.

*Bonus: Run Chat. I had planned to do a run chat last night but didn't find any takers. I'm guessing my biggest problem was the fact I scheduled it right after the Bib Chat website had theirs, so I'd like to try it again at 9 p.m. (CDT) next Monday night. Let me know in either the comments section here or over on Twitter if you would like to participate. If I could get enough people interested I'd like to make it a regular thing.

The weekend is almost here! Have a good rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment