Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I'm IN!

Back in May, I ran the 500 Festival One America Mini Marathon for the eighth time. It was the eighth time I had run the race (I ran my first Mini in 2001) and renewed my relationship with my favorite race in the world.

So I was pretty excited to see an item on their website a few weeks ago that they were looking for runners to act as ambassadors for the 2016 race, so I applied for the program and started playing the waiting game. I have to admit that I didn't have the highest of hopes, mostly because I live 200 miles from Indianapolis and thought they were more looking for local representation.

Much to my surprise, I was checking my e-mail at lunch and saw I had a message from a person named Kim Gale, with "Congratulations, you've been selected!" in the subject line. For a second I thought it was junk mail, until I remembered that Kim had liked my "I'm Gonna Be Faster Than Frank" Facebook page (which was dedicated to my Mini run this year) and is the Director of Marketing, Running Events and Programs for the 500 Festival.

I opened the e-mail and was so excited to see that I had been selected as one of the 33 ambassadors for next year's race! I will be representing the 500 Festival and Mini Marathon for the next calendar year, acting as a community (and social media) advocate for exercise and making healthy choices, while "encouraging participation in the 500 Festival's running and walking events".

Our first official function will be an orientation meeting on September 3, and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of such an awesome organization. I hope through this blog and other social media platforms, as well as face-to-face interactions with fellow runners and walkers, I can motivate people to get moving and, most of all, enter the Mini Marathon next May!

One of my duties will be to help recruit runners to sign up for the Mini (registration opens September 15) so look for this space to be, as always, a way to share my passion for others, but also to extol the virtues of this incredible event and race. If you have never run the Indy Mini, it is an incredible event that should be on everyone's list.

Thanks to everyone who has supported this blog and who has supported me on this journey! I love running and look forward to having the platform to share it with an even bigger group of people moving forward. Next year's Mini is on May 7, 2016 -- just 277 days away! I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment