Friday, September 11, 2015

How I'm Feeling

Well, it's now been 15 days since my bicycle crash that resulted in my broken left humerus, and I'm finally starting to feel progress. Finally!

Most of the progress stems from having surgery on Tuesday morning, Dr. Chhadia, my surgeon, found a third fracture during surgery, so the procedure took a bit longer than planned, and in the end he fixed me with a plate and 10 screws. I'm looking forward to seeing an x-ray of that handiwork!

Here I am just after coming out of recovery...still not sure where I was but still smiling!

I was able to go home a few hours after surgery but had to return to the hospital because I was running a fever, which was a real bummer. But after a few hours my fever went down and I was able to return home.

Prior to surgery they had put a "block" in my left arm, which basically numbs the entire arm for 16-24 hours. Unfortunately mine wore off a lot sooner and then the REAL pain set in! I barely slept Tuesday night and it took me a couple of days to feel caught up, but I'm feeling much better today.

I can't say the pain is gone, but I'm managing the pain well, thanks to hydrocodone and muscle relaxers! I even went out for a short walk around the block today, and while I felt a bit tight all over, it was nice to get outside and move a little bit.

The next step comes next week when I get the stitches out, and hopefully get a less restrictive brace as well. Dr. Chhadia said I'll regain a little more motion and will be doing some strength training soon.

So we are moving forward! It has been a tough couple of weeks but I'm thankful for the support of my family and friends, especially my wife, Darcy, who has been amazing, and my Mom, who was here for a few days. I may be 46 years old, but I still need my Mom every once in a while. :-)

I don't know when I can start running again, but hopefully it will be before our trip to Italy in six weeks as I am looking forward to running through Rome! The St. Jude Marathon is certainly out, but I'm still holding out hope to still run the half, which I think is still possible.

This was for sure a setback but I really consider myself lucky because things could've been worse, way worse. Lots of other bad things could've happened, but they didn't, and for that I am very grateful!

I'm also very stubborn! Dr. Chhadia estimates it will be 4-6 weeks until full recovery, but I'm challenging myself to do better than that. That's just who I am.

I hope you have a great weekend, and best of luck in your training and racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment