Monday, October 19, 2015

What A Weekend!

Why am I smiling? It's a pretty simple explanation -- I had an incredible weekend!

It started out on Friday when I visited Dr. Chhadia for a follow-up appointment. While there are places that still need to heal, everything looked where it needed it to be, which he was happy about.

He still wants me focusing on flexibility and range of motion stuff in physical therapy, as opposed to strength, and I scheduled eight more appointments until I see him again at the end of November.

But the best part? I get to get rid of my big bionic brace! They want me to keep it handy in case of soreness or when I might need to protect my arm, but otherwise I'm good to go. I'll bring it along for our trip but I wanted to be out of it by the time we left, and I was able to get there!

In case you were curious, here is an x-ray of my arm taken on Friday. They took more picture and the best I can tell I have 14 screws in there!

It's kind of weird to think that sculpture is inside me, but I am thankful for all of it, as well as the talent of me doctor. I'm very blessed and thankful that the people I needed in my life over the last 53 days were with me, from Dr. Chhadia, my therapists, Darcy and my Mom, Matt and Kevin and all of my family and friends who have supported me and encouraged me. It's certainly meant a lot.

I've got a way to go -- strength training might have to wait until 2016 and my radial nerve still needs to answer its wake-up call, but I'm beginning to see progress every day, which is exciting.

So how did I celebrate? I went for a run of course. I headed out to Hawk Hollow for my first run there since August.

It looks a little different than the last time I was there, since it has fallen into fall, but it still looks good! That and I saw a hawk, which is always an inspirational bonus.

Saturday and Sunday I ran my (sorta) new 5K loop. It's pretty much the same as one of my other loops, except I turn and go down a street a couple of blocks early to shorten it up.

What was great about both runs is that I did them non-stop! Despite three miles (or so) being a pretty short run, I hadn't been able to run without a walk break since I started back. Not sure why...it could be fitness, could be a side effect to the medication I'm taking, but whatever, I'm just happy to win a small victory.

What that means to me is that it gives me a confidence boost and makes me feel like I can stretch run out over the next few weeks, which I will!

So how was your weekend? Did you win any small victories with your running?

No comments:

Post a Comment