Friday, November 13, 2015

Five For Friday

Welcome to the weekend! I screwed up what day my featured post was for the blog hop, so make sure you scroll down and keep reading to my Top 25 post. There are lots of great tidbits there that you don't want to miss!

In the meantime, let's talk about a few things.

*Last Saturday I went to the IHSA state cross country championships and had an absolute blast. I love XC, it's such an amazing sport and I'm glad that my boys have been involved over the last few years.

Since attending my first state meet in 2001, I've been to at least 10 more, and it never fails to disappoint. It doesn't hurt that Illinois is one of the best states for XC in the country, either, as I have had the good fortune of watching runners who have gone onto success in college and even to the professional level where they have competed in World Championships and Olympic games.

This photo was from the boys Class 2A race (Illinois has three classes) and it gives you a really good feel for what XC is about. Many people think XC isn't a spectator sport, but that isn't always true. The state meet course is a loop that the runners navigate three times, so you don't even have to move in order to be right up on top of the race.

The girls 2A race was the one I was most excited about as two Aurora Central Catholic runners -- Abby Fioresi and Karina Liz -- were running in hopes of placing in the Top 25 to capture an all-state medal. Abby (on the left of this photo) ran a great race and finished 19th! Karina, who has been battling health and breathing issues all season, placed 82nd but as always finished with a smile on her face.

It still turned out to be a good weekend for Karina as she committed to the University of Missouri to continue her running career an education. She plans on studying to be a teacher, and given how well I've seen her work with kids, she will be an asset to the profession.

No doubt Abby will be able to continue her career in college, but since she is a junior there is time to make that decision. Both are primed for a great season in track, Abby holds the school record in the 1600 and Karina has won back-to-back state titles in the 800.

The best part about their success? Both ladies are good people, good students and great teammates. The legacy they leave when they move on from ACC will go way beyond just what they did as athletes.

*As promised, I signed up for races! I signed up for the Fox and Turkey 4-miler on Thanksgiving and the Chilly Chili 5K on December 5. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is coming but I had an awesome 4-mile run Wednesday night and I'm ready!

Right after I signed up for the 5K Darcy called to say she is going to New York for an investor conference and invited me to go along, which means I'll miss the 5K. Oh well, guess I'll have to run in Central Park that day instead! ;--)

*Speaking of NYC...if you live there and could join me for a run there on Dec. 4 or 5, let me know, it would be fun to go for a run and meet new people! Last year I ran in Central Park and found the NYC Marathon finish line. Hope to someday cross it for real!

I'm looking forward to heading back there, as our last trip a year ago was epic! Here's a post from the archives that tells all about it.

*I made a decision the other day that I'm going to try podcasting! It is an idea I've kicked around and I have decided to just go for it. I think it will be fun and I plan on premiering it in the next week or so.

Do you listen to running podcasts? Which one's are your faves? What kind or topics do you like to listen to?

*What are your plans for the weekend? I plan on running, of course, and Kevin is coming to spend the weekend with us, which I'm excited about since it will be his first weekend with us since before we went to Italy. He loves remote control cars, so I know a trip to the hobby store will be part of the plan!

Saturday night Darcy and I are going to a fundraiser to support the Boys and Girls Club of Dundee Township. Darcy is on the board of directors of this great group, and it's always a fun time. I'm already crossing my fingers that we win Chicago Bulls tickets in the silent auction.

Have a great weekend!


10 comments:

  1. I have never heard of XC, looks like a lot of fun! I am signed up for a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning too, it is just a great way to start the day! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey trots are so much fun, I kind of kick myself the years I don't run them! Plus it's much easier to indulge after you have started the day with a great run!

      Delete
  2. I have such an appreciation and respect for XC. I had all the makings of being a XC runner back in high school, but no one ever encouraged me or noticed that "talent" in me (myself included). Fast forward (several years), and I really regret not running back then. Our son ran XC his junior year (two years ago), he didn't love it, but he stuck it out and finished the season. He's a swimmer, so running is a perfect supplement to his training in the water. The XC meets are so inspiring....everyone cheers for every runner, teammates and competitors alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the same boat when I was young. We didn't have a track team in middle school, so even though I would finish near the front of the pack when we would do conditioning for basketball and stuff I didn't know what it meant really, I just thought I was faster than the guys on my team. Then one day early on in my freshman year, we had 12 minutes to see how far we could run and I went just short of 2 miles...wish someone had tipped off the XC coach for me after that! I absolutely love XC meets, I just love the fact it is a participation sport where everyone has the chance to compete and improve. My son ran XC for the first time this year and a girl on the team had never run before the season started but by the end of the year was running 3 miles in about 25 minutes!

      Delete
  3. Just read I out about me page. I'm sure you'll get to Boston someday. That's my goal too. Even if I have to wait until I'm the only one running in my age category so I'm a shoe in. Hopefully before then, though.
    Great to meet you on the blog, Mike
    Http://Runwright.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! Looking forward to following your journey to the marathon next year!

      Delete
  4. Mike, it sounds like you signed up for quite a few fun races. Can't wait to hear how they go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so looking forward to my race on Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  5. I'm barely starting to get into running more, but I did spend a semester in Cross Country my final year in higb school cause my boyfriend was a track and XC runner. I agree that the sport can be quite interesting to watch! Although I prefer watching Track and Field myself.

    Happy to have connected via the blog hop! I hope you have another amazing NYC trip and great progress in your races.
    https://curlycaroline.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big track fan too! The 800 and 4x800 races are my favorites. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete