Tuesday, November 10, 2015
My Top 25
With that in mind, I thought I would go a different route with my spotlight post. I'm pretty open here, and if you scroll down through my blog you can learn a lot about me, my love for running and travel, races I've run in the past, and other stuff like that. Still, there is a lot you don't know about me so I thought I'd share 25 facts that will help you get to know me better.
These will be in a pretty random order, but that's kind of how I live my life!
1. My running and writing careers both began the same year...2000.
2. One of my other passions is IndyCar racing, and I am an amateur historian of the Indy 500. I have been to the race 18 times, and I also write an IndyCar blog, 15 Days In May.
3. My favorite music is pretty much anything from the 1970s and 1980s. I would have to say two of my fave all-time bands are Simple Minds and Tears for Fears. I also listen to techno music, especially when I run.
4. I didn't run in high school, I hated it then! Instead I played golf, basketball and baseball. I played baseball against future Hall of Famer Jim Thome, and one of my golf teammates, Renee Heiken, played on the LPGA Tour for several years and is now the women's golf coach at the University of Illinois.
5. I have three older sisters and a younger brother. My sisters Vickie and Karen live in Indiana and my brother Tim is a golf pro who lives in Atlanta. My sister Joni died from cancer four years ago.
6. I am a true Chicago sports fan as I root for the Cubs, Bears and Bulls. Notre Dame is my favorite college football team and I root for Indiana, Butler and Duke in college basketball.
7. My dream job would be as a beat writer for a major league baseball team or major auto racing series.
8. I love coaching, and have coached middle school basketball for the last eight years. I hope to get certified soon to become a running coach, with my focus being on cross country and the marathon.
9. My first car was a 1980 Ford Mustang that I bought when I graduated from high school in 1987. It topped out at 125 miles an hour, which I know from personal experience.
10. Speaking of high school, I joined the marching band when I was a senior and played the cymbals. It was the best experience of my time in high school.
11. My favorite book in middle school was "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
12. I love confidence but can't stand arrogance. Get over yourself...in the big picture you are nothing special.
13. My fave movie is Back To The Future.
14. I hope to live in Italy someday.
15. I've worked at the same job for 17 years. I'm in the IT department for a company that manages the health insurance benefits for a labor union.
16. In the eighth grade I was part of a sporting goods commercial that was shot in my family's driveway. I earned $35, enough to buy a new baseball glove.
17. I would love to interview Meb Keflezighi or Bob Kennedy for my blog.
18. I enjoy driving, especially long distances. If you are riding in a car with me, be prepared to be a passenger.
19. In my early 20s I drove a delivery truck for two years. One of the best jobs I've ever had.
20. I am a HUGE cross country fan. In fact, my next post later this week will be about XC.
21. I'm fascinated by tall buildings. If I visit a city with an epically tall building, I try to go there. Earlier this year I went up in the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, and plan to see the Freedom Tower when I travel to New York next month.
22. I like Mexican and Italian food, and I make a pretty good risotto! Oh yeah, I like making chili too.
23. Greg Maddux is my favorite all-time baseball player. No one else is close.
24. I love to make people laugh and I love to laugh...unfortunately at the most inappropriate time on occasion.
25. I can't wait to run the Boston Marathon someday.
So there you have it! A little more about me! To those who have been readers of this blog in the past, thank you! And to my new readers, I hope to see you again!
Posted by Mike Knapp at 2:44 PM