Monday, December 14, 2015

Dec. 6-12 -- The Week In Review

Hi all! I haven't done one of these in a while so I figured it would be a good time to start back up again. When it comes to running, last week was one of the best running-related weeks I've had in a long time.

Let me break it down.

*Running. The weather here has been fantastic around here, which has been a real boost! It's hard to believe that with the exception of the Frigid 5K last Sunday, all of my runs the rest of the week were when the temperature was around 50 degrees!

While it has been damp and foggy at times (as you can see in my photo from Saturday), you won't get any complaints from me! The alternative is much worse, that's for sure! It's going to cool down for a couple of days this week and then we go back to above normal temps at least for the rest of the month.

My runs were all in the 3-4 mile range and outside of the 5K were slow, "base"-type runs. Vince, my new coach -- and more on him below -- thinks that my focus should be about 20-25 miles of fairly easy running for the next few weeks before we start to ramp things up to meet my spring goals.

*Coaching. As I have mentioned a couple of times, I hired a coach to help me reach my goals in 2016, and Vince and I had our first couple of sessions this week.

Tuesday we met for an informal 30-minute run where he got me started on a warm-up routine and I told him about some of my goals. Then we ran four miles on Saturday and spoke about periodization and some other training theories. We plan on running again on Friday and we are going to share and combine our thoughts about my schedule for the next few weeks and put that together.

One thing I like about Vince is that he for sure has a passion for running, which is a big plus to me, and that as a coach he isn't set in his ways or stubborn enough that he is going to make me do things his way. We've talked about what has worked for me in the past -- especially when I was doing my best running in 2004-07 -- and how we can take those theories and integrate them with some new ideas.

He remarked that I've been doing this for so long that I know what I need to do to get prepare, and that he doesn't want to completely overhaul what I'm doing, rather he wants to work with me, which I appreciate. He also knows that I want to become a certified coach in the next year or so and is open to helping me achieve that too. I'm definitely excited to be working with him!

*A couple of other things that have made me happy. I recorded another episode of the Let's Run Forever podcast, which you can find on iTunes, SoundCloud and Google Play. I got a little long-winded and went over an hour, but give it a listen if you can.

I'm going to skip recording during Christmas week, but already have my shows planned for this week and the week of New Year's. I'm so thankful and appreciate everyone who has helped me with this and who have taken the time to listen!

One other thing I was happy to hear is that Matt, my oldest son, gave me his Christmas list and it includes a new pair of running shoes! I'm just glad that he is wanting to get back into the game a little bit. I doubt it is anything serious, like wanting to run track in the spring or anything, but it's good to see him thinking about running for fun. We will definitely be getting together for some 5K's in the coming months.

That's it for me! I hope you have a great week, what are some of your plans?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a good plan in place for 2016. My oldest daughter has been running recently too and it's great to see your kids making positive steps....literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more. Organic Cotton Melange

    ReplyDelete