Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Wordy Wednesday

Yeah, I know, it's usually Word-less Wednesday, but I'm a writer, when do we ever go wordless? Not only that, but I'll be busy all day tomorrow so Three Things Thursday is out.

Still, it's shaping up to be an interesting week!

* I went to see my surgeon, Dr. Chhadia, on Monday, and he seems pleased with my progress. I had some x-rays taken and while it still looks broken to me he said it is healing, so I'll take his expert opinion over mine!

He is a little concerned with my wrist and hand, though. When I had my surgery the radial nerve (a big nerve that controls many hand functions) was disturbed and as a result was what they called "shocked". That left me with a droopy left hand and not a lot of movement in my fingers. He said it could be 6 months to a year before it comes back, but has ordered an EMG test to check out what is going on.

After I left his office I went next door and made PT appointments for the next few weeks. Dr. Chhadia did approve some strength training so that is a good thing. Overall I'm really happy with my PT work, I am feeling a lot more normal when it comes to my left arm, and it feels so much better.

Just need to keep moving forward!

* Next week I start working with a coach! I've been tossing around the idea of finding a coach for a while, and with 2016 marking The Year of Epic Running, I thought it would be a good thing to get a little help.

There are a lot of coaches around here, but a lot of them are kind of expensive, so I had to look around a bit. I eventually made my way to CoachUp.com, and found my coach! His name is Vince Tagare and he ran XC and track locally and competed in college with the Bradley University club team. He had a couple of well-rated reviews and so I thought I would give him a try.

We have already communicated a little and I filled out a questionnaire for him. Our first in-person session is on Monday and then again on Saturday. After a couple of weeks he will help me work together on a plan for the first part of next year.

Vince is in the Reserves and will be gone for much of 2016, but I am OK with that, I don't need a lot of hands-on stuff, I just want the accountability and someone who will work with me to develop something a little more personalized.

I worked with a coach in 2005 and had some amazing results. From 2005-07 I did some of my best running and would like to get back to that. Yeah, I'm 10 years older but still think I have a lot of good running ahead of me.

I'll let you know how it goes!

* Leaving on a jet plane (again). I'm really excited that tomorrow Darcy and I will be heading to New York for a couple of days. We were last there 13 months ago and had a great time. If you want to read about my run in Central Park (including photos) you can find it here.

Darcy will be there for a work thing on Friday, and we are going to try to cram a lot into a short period of time. We are going to a New York Knicks game on Friday night and then going to Freedom Tower on Saturday morning before we go home.

And of course, there will be Central Park! I hope to run there on Friday morning and cover some ground that I didn't have a chance to last year. It is such a beautiful place!

Then I plan on coming back at noon and recording my podcast from the finish line of the New York City Marathon (you can find it marked with paint on the pavement). I just think it will be fun to sit and describe the park and what goes on there. With good weather on hand and it being lunch time on a Friday, it could be a busy place!

What would be really awesome is if I could find someone who is running to stop for an interview. Who knows, that's the beauty of a "live" broadcast!

So how is your week going? Have any plans going for the weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it. Poly Cotton Yarn

    ReplyDelete